Tuesday, September 22, 2009

La Carbonara

La Carbonara [202 W. 14th St. (bet. 7th and 8th Aves.), Menu]

After opening earlier this Spring, La Carbonara has quickly become an Eat Richly favorite. Part of it is because it's about 100 yards from my apartment, but most of it is because it serves very good Italian food at very reasonable prices. Whether eating in the restaurant or ordering take out, the food is fresh and the service is prompt and friendly. It's amazing to me that there aren't more restaurants like this. Why are there so many places charging $17 for a bowl of pasta?

In terms of specifics, all of the pastas are under $10 and I have sampled a wide variety. My top three are the Rigatoni (with eggplants), the Tagliatelle (with shrimp), and the Spaghetti (with meatballs). I recommend sticking to pasta for takeout/delivery, but if you eat in the restaurant, the Short Rib is an excellent choice as well. In addition, the wine list is full of affordable bottles ($20-$30) and the atmosphere is lovely for any occasion. All in all, I highly recommend La Carbonara for lunch or dinner...and I'll have to try their brunch!

No comments: